[Texmacs-dev] Converters validation and symbol tables

From: david
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Converters validation and symbol tables
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:43:46 +0100

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 09:42:16PM +0100, Gwenael GABARD wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>    To test the TM->TEX converter, I've made a tm file gathering most of the
> math symbols available through texmacs toolbar. This file may be useful for
> peoples working on other converters.
>
>    This test file reveals some minor bugs or omissions in the converter (see
> patches 908, 973, 974, 1021). However, I have probably forgotten other
> symbols (especially variants), so if you find missing symbols add them to
> this file.
>    Similar test files for tables, figures, etc would be useful...

Thanks. That will be useful.

Generally I think TeXmacs lacks formal quality insurance. The only QA
policy is that Joris must like the code your submit. That is not bad
since he have very high standards, but that is not enough.

As a part of my current work I am writing a test-suite for the new
tmhtml filter. Generally conversion filters lend themselves very well
to regression testing, there should be more of it. That introduces
more overhead than simple manual validation, but that is also more
reliable.

About your symbol tables, a few remarks:

  You can get the list of all support physical symbols in
  $TEXMACS_PATH/fonts/enc, virtual symbols are defined in
  $TEXMACS_PATH/fonts/virtual, and their categorization is set in
  $TEXMACS_PATH/lang/mathematical/syntax/texmath.syx.

  It would be nice to test proper (elastic) behaviour of big
  delimiters and operators.

Related issues are:

  Ensuring that all meaningful symbols are defined in
  lang/mathematical/syntax.

  Defining LaTeX shortcut extensions (with \) in
  progs/keyboard/latex.scm and TeXmacs shortcuts (like arrows) in
  progs/keyboard/kbd-math.scm for every meaninful symbol.

  Maybe find a way to make all meaningful symbols available through
  the GUI. That belongs in progs/menu/mathematics-menu.scm.

Thanks for your nice contributions on the TeX converters.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org