Re: Note on OO function calls in Perl

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Note on OO function calls in Perl
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:27:38 +0200

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 01:25:43PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> I tried replacing some of the object-oriented method calls in
> Parser.pm and Plaintext.pm to see if it would be any faster, e.g.
>
> -  $result .= $self->_count_added($formatter->{'container'},
> +  $result .= _count_added($self, $formatter->{'container'},
>
> but it didn't make any difference that I could notice. My timing
> measurements vary too much and I suspect they depend mostly on how
> overheated my laptop has been getting.
>
> This was recommended at
> http://makepp.sourceforge.net/2.0/perl_performance.html.

I would have doubted this would make a difference.  However, I think
that it is better not use OO calls if not needed, that is, if
polymorphism is not needed for that function, so I think that those
patches are a good thing irrespective of speedups, for code readability.
With OO one never know which function is really called which I find
very annoying.  Even though I used quite a bit of OO in texinfo for
polymorphism, I really dislike it, but as it can help simplifying code
sometime I used it...

--
Pat