Re: DTD version confusion

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: DTD version confusion
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:27:03 +0200

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 09:25:09PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> The DTD version procedure is the last thing (afaik) to resolve before
> the next pretest.  Patrice, wdyt?  Tx.
>
> --
>     With that url the catalog.xml automatically
>     generated from tp/maintain/catalog.xml.in
>
> Hadn't entered my mind.  Glad you knew how to deal with it.
> What uses that file?  I tried some greps but could not discern.

I use it to check the validity of produced files.  I have 2 lines of
remainder in the tp/TODO file:

export XML_CATALOG_FILES=~/src/texinfo/tp/maintain/catalog.xml
xmllint --nonet --noout --valid commands.xml

>     Another possibility for the pretests would be to use
>     TEXINFO_DTD_VERSION=6.0 and put the dtd on the final location
>
> Well ... doesn't it seem strange to (possibly) have different files be
> version 6.0 at different times?  It somehow seems contrary to the whole
> concept of DTDs.  That was my main concern with the presently-intended
> scenario, too.

Though not perfect, it doesn't seems that problematic ti me, as long as
it only changes until the official release.

> What if we used a completely generic version like "dev" (no numbers)
> between official releases, including for pretests?  Then there is only
> one dtd being labeled 6.0, and it is simpler to understand what to
> switch to and when.  We'd still only have to regenerate tests once upon
> a switch to dev, and then a second time for the real release.

It seems to me that using something like 6.0-pre or 6.0-dev would be
better, otherwise there could be much confusion with older releases
"dev" dtd versions.

--
Pat