Re: Texinfo::Report::gdt

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: Texinfo::Report::gdt
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 11:13:24 +0200

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 04:08:55PM +0100, Gavin Smith wrote:
> On 10 April 2015 at 23:12, Karl Berry <address@hidden> wrote:
> >     * error reporting within the gdt strings is not easy as it doesn't
> >       flow naturally in the document.
> >
> > But should affect only the translators, and they should be able to deal.
> > And, if we provided some kind of validator for translators as above, it
> > could help them.
> This refers to erroneous Texinfo syntax in the strings, correct?

Indeed.

> >> it could be
> >> msgid "{category} on {class}: <strong>{name}</strong>"
> >
> > I don't understand how this can work.  Translators cannot provide
> > per-output-format translations, nor would we want to impose that work on
> > them even if they could.  That's what Texinfo is for :).
>
> Looking at texinfo_document.pot, I thought this was already the case.
> The translation document strings look like they are generic, but they
> actually are specific to the output format, e.g. the example above is
> actually
>
> #: tp/Texinfo/Convert/HTML.pm:4102
> #, perl-brace-format
> msgid "{category} on {class}: @strong{{name}}"
> msgstr ""
>
> so is only used for HTML output.

This example is, but some other are for different formats, and strings
in Common.pm or Convert/Converter.pm could also be used by more than one
output formamt.

> I am not sure what can go wrong with the .po files being literal UTF-8
> - I will try to understand this better.

It is not that it is wrong, but it means that if the encoding is not
utf-8 the translation of strings cannot be used.  More precisely, if
an encoding is not available, the ascii fils is used and it can contain
commands like @'e.  This is especially interesting for latin1 encoding
as there are documents in that encoding and it is covered by the
@-commands.

--
Pat