Re: url style for pdf

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: url style for pdf
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 21:39:06 GMT

    Maybe the best would be to have an option that says that the book is
    to be printed or displayed.

Interesting idea, but it seems somehow too indirect to me, leading to
confusion about action at a distance, mysterious options, etc.  Besides,
print vs. display usage is just an example.  People might well prefer
the "textual" style in all cases, whether they are putting their PDF
online or not.

In fact, maybe I should eliminate the question in another way -- by
switching to always the "textual" style (black rather than colored, and
show the url).  That would be ok with me, and would be cleaner than any
language-level additions.  I don't think there was any particular user
demand for the current PDF/DVI difference, it just seemed natural.
Or maybe I just accepted a patch that did it that way, I don't remember.

Wdyt?  (Arnold, you too. :)