info name protection

From: Karl Berry
Subject: info name protection
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:25:13 GMT

Well, even though this is item 4 in the priority list, I'll write a
quick reply.

    4.  protection in Info, design and implementation (with the main player
        here being the info reader, and, therefore, Sergey).

The Emacs Info reader is at least as important.  Once we have a solid
proposal, I guess we need to write emacs-devel and see if someone wants
to work on it.  We wouldn't want such a major change to Info to be any
kind of surprise.

As for the proposal, as I think I wrote somewhere before, my basic idea
is to use another Info "tag", like
  address@hidden name="..." address@hidden

And within the string, accept \xx escapes (or some such), so that the
colons and such don't have to be given literally (which would mess up
existing parsers).  Exactly what the tag names and parameters need to
be, I couldn't say without more study.

Sergey, any reaction to the basic idea?  It's a change that will affect
many things ... e.g., I don't think it will work to just convert at the
time of reading from the file and store literally, because node names
also searched for internally when the byte positions aren't perfect, and
we don't want to lose that ...

On the higher-priority fronts, will try to dig up the not-just-TeX
@titlepage proposal asap.

Planning to make the 5.1 release later today if nothing turns up.

Thanks,