Re: parallel-tests

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: parallel-tests
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 18:28:40 +0100

Hi Karl.

On 11/10/2012 06:01 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
>     by passing the 'parallel-tests' option to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
>
> Done, thanks.

At this point, you might also consider making your test cases much more
verbose by default, since their output is automatically saved in the
corresponding log files, rather than being displayed on the standard
output.  That could help in making diagnosis and debugging of failures
"in the wild" much easier.  This is just a suggestion of mine though,
nothing required or necessary.

> I wonder, should the recommended version of test-driver be included in
> gnulib?

May I ask why that should be done?  The 'test-driver' script only makes
sense when used with the Automake testsuite harness.

> (Along with depcomp and the like.)  I'm guessing taking it out
> of the automake source repository wouldn't be a good idea.

While that might theoretically be done (since the new Automake harness
has a well defined API, albeit still unstable, and can deal with custom
test drivers) I see no gain in doing so: and only extra work and the
possibility for bugs and synchrnonization issues.

> For now I just copied it from the 1.12.4 installation dir.

"automake --add-missing" should install it for you automatically.
If it doesn't, that's a serious bug, and I'd appreciate a report
about it.

Thanks,
  Stefano