Re: avoiding differences between TeX and other formats at beginning

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: avoiding differences between TeX and other formats at beginning
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 20:50:35 -0400

    I think that the issue arises from the lack of something similar with a
    @titlepage for formats other than TeX

Indeed.  This is one of those places where the concept in 1985 of
specifically two output formats (DVI and Info) continues to plague us
today.

The thing is, people wouldn't expect, and (I venture to say) don't want
the full TeX title page in the Top node of their Info output.  Nor do
they expect or want the Top node text (as it's written in every manual
today) in the TeX output.  So I'm not sure what we can really do.

To mention one detail, rms did not like even suggesting having the
copyright information in the Top node, let alone having it happen by
default.  (I disagree with him, but that's irrelevant. :)

I cannot really wrap my mind around the alternatives right now.  I'd
rather let it go for 5.0.

    that the conversion to LaTeX will stumble on that issue too.

Yeah :(.  Something to take up soon ...