Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: m4 lines handled everywhere?
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 23:07:51 GMT

    I think that it would be better to do that in any case, such that
    texi2dvi can do the right thing even if there is no makeinfo/texi2any

Maybe.  I was thinking that by not (re)implementing it in texi2dvi, we
would be encouraging people to use texi2any.  And avoiding possible
discrepancies (bugs) between the implementations.

Would it be reasonable to grab the output of your #line pass, save it in
a temp file, and send that to texi2dvi?  Although, hmm, I foresee
discrepancies with texi2dvi's crazy "tidy" options.  I guess we can't do
that.

Ok, I've convinced myself.  I'll work on --[no-]cpp-line-directives for
texi2dvi, can you add it to makeinfo/texi2any?  And texi2html, unless
you're omitting the #line pass for that?

    What about using the -E command line option of makeinfo/texi2any?

What?  No, that has to stay expanding @macro's, even in its inevitably
buggy (in texi2dvi) state.

Thanks,