tcd-hackers

[Tcd-hackers] sturdy walk

From: Neddie Shannon
Subject: [Tcd-hackers] sturdy walk
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:35:26 -0700

Test-first development is certainly an important technique, but the power of interactive development should never be underestimated. It has much higher information capacity and it cannot be eavesdropped on. They cover the bases effectively and each one offers something interesting that makes it worth studying in its own right.
The big four all have active communities, which means less bugs, more support and a faster rate of improvement.
It's criminal that so few people are playing with this.
prototype or pollute global namespaces should be treated with caution.
The talks really deserved to be seen by more people; if you weren't there you missed out on a treat.
Definitely the best value conference with the most grassroots atmosphere that I've ever been to.
The Basque country militant I witnessed who waved a yellow Hizbollah flag at the head of a protest march is only the tip of a much broader phenomenon.
The talks really deserved to be seen by more people; if you weren't there you missed out on a treat.
Clever, but a bit scary at the same time.
The big four all have active communities, which means less bugs, more support and a faster rate of improvement.
That's why I've left my image setting above to check every five minutes.
This was a common thread at several conferences, and the recent popularity of Parallels for browser testing barely scratches the surface. Ajax requests are instead made through an invisible Flash file that uses Flash to load the data, parse the XML, extract some CDATA and pass it back to _javascript_ to replace a div. Props to the Daily Show and Whitney. All of Matt's work ended up in vane when the Times stopped publishing the puzzle online just after his system started working. I gave talks about it at both BarCamp and Euro Foo - it's decentralised single sign-on that works, and it's trivial to implement thanks to really solid libraries for most programming languages.
The solver itself was pretty straight foward; the hand-rolled OCR routine to deal with the Times' dodgy scanned JPEG a little less so. Browser vendors take note: you can still be the first modern browser to implement a proper offline mode!