sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Init freezes on: close(2)

From: Mariusz Bialonczyk
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Init freezes on: close(2)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:26:42 +0200

On 09/23/2010 08:49 AM, Mariusz Bialonczyk wrote:
Hello
I have a problem with booting linux using INIT. More information below:
I have two identical boot devices (raid1 with ext4fs on it):
/dev/md0 on GPT partition table disk
/dev/md10 on old style msdos/mbr partition table
When i am passing to the kernel root=/dev/md10 - then all is fine (i
have 'INIT: version 2.88 booting' and the system is up in a while.
BUT: when i am passing root=/dev/md0 then the kernel launch init but
init freezes (i even don't have the INIT: version... output).
First i thought it is a kernel problem but... i put a lot of debuging
output to the init.c file using printf's and i can see that
init is running but it freeze!
I bisected the place of a problem - and it is hunging on line
close(2) in init_main(). I believe this is closing stderr, isn't it?
Do you suspect why i have such a weird behavior?
I also tryed to comment this line out - it helps a little because the
INIT goes further - but it hungs later on check_init_fifo() - at the
end on pause() (when the pipe could not be opened).
Please help me solve this issue.

Everything is now clear to me.
I was doing rsync with -x when copying data - so /dev nodes was not
copied because /dev was mounted as tmpfs - so as a result i have
empty /dev directory on /dev/md0 (boot partition).
Unfortunately INIT doesn't warn if i.e. /dev/console is missing :(
Please consider put a warning if essential and critical /dev/ nodes
are missing.

regards,
--
manio