sysvinit-devel

[sysvinit-devel] Teach insserv to handle virtual facility provides direc

From: Petter Reinholdtsen
Subject: [sysvinit-devel] Teach insserv to handle virtual facility provides directly in init.d scripts?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 09:10:55 +0200

Currently, virtual facilities are defined either in /etc/insserv.conf
or in /etc/insserv.conf.d/, and in Debian we expect packages providing
virtual facilities like $named to add a file in /etc/insserv.conf.d/.

Such package would have a init.d script header like this:

  ## BEGIN INIT INFO
  # Provides: pdns
  # ...
  ## END INIT INFO

and a insserv.conf.d entry like this:

  $named pdns

Instead, what about teaching insserv to understand notation like this,
and skip the insserv specific file in /etc/:

  ## BEGIN INIT INFO
  # Provides: pdns $named
  # ...
  ## END INIT INFO

For this to work, insserv will have to accept and handle several
scripts providing the same virtual facility, allowing setup like this:

  ## BEGIN INIT INFO
  # Provides: pdns $named
  # ...
  ## END INIT INFO

  ## BEGIN INIT INFO
  # Provides: bind $named
  # ...
  ## END INIT INFO

  ## BEGIN INIT INFO
  # Provides: dnsmasq $named
  # ...
  ## END INIT INFO

Werner, any opinion on this?

I suspect the LSB should be updated to document that this is an
allowed setup, if we go this way.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen