Re: [Synaptic-devel] TERM not set?

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] TERM not set?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:37:09 +0100

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 07:50:35PM +0100, Andreas Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
Hi,

thanks for your mail.

> for some time now, synaptic apparently does not set the TERM variable. When
> it comes to installing new packages, I get the following warning:
>
> *****
> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
>
> debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
> debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
> debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
> *****
[..]

What version of synaptic and what distro and what version of the
distro do you use? I tink I have not seen that on debian and ubuntu
yet. Any special settings that I should know about when trying to
reproduce? Setting the TERM from inside synaptic for the build-in vte
terminal is simpke. But I would like to understand the issue a bit
better first.

Cheers,
 Michael