Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.52-17 interface

From: Vincent van Adrighem
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] synaptic-0.52-17 interface
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:31:46 +0200

On za, 2004-07-24 at 01:18 -0400, sashko wrote:
> That laterst interface is a piece of shit. I feel like handicap with it.
> Was there really any reason to take off those tabbars with so useful
> information like full list of versions and dependencies table. Where did
> the searchfiled go from the toolbar?
> What is wrong with you, people?

Well, that's one way of saying it. :)

I happen to love the new interface actually. No more confusing tabs in
the main window. You can still get your tabs by rightclicking on a
package and choosing properties. If you leave that window open and click
on another package, it will display the properties of the new package.
So that's not THAT big a problem is it?

I actually sorta agree with the searchfield-on-toolbar problem, but it's
only useful when you know the first few letters of a package. So it was
only for the lucky few who KNOW all packagenames and don't want to wait
for the regular search (which takes a second or two). So no real issue
here either.

Now that we're bitching about how sucky synaptic has become ;)
Let me take this opportunity to say something about the new
categorisation of "filters" and "search results" and such. It's actually
quite nice, BUT after a search, when you want to go back to, say
"Installed packages", you first select "Filters" and synaptic starts
actually do anything until you really click on one of the options in the
list. This would make switching between the categories a lot faster.

By the way, synaptic is the very BEST package manager I have ever had
the chance to work with. It really, really rocks. Don't let a "not so
nice e-mail" make you think otherwise.

Kind regards,
Vincent van Adrighem