[Synaptic-devel] interface changes in 0.51

From: Frank Van Damme
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] interface changes in 0.51
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:15:55 +0200

Hello,

I've been using Synaptic for some time, it's a kickass program and about the
most userfriendly graphical frontend to a package manager that I know about.

However, I am not entirely happy with the changes in the user interface in the
latest version.

- in previous versions the filters where more accessible. Now the user has to
choose between selecting a filter and viewing a specific section.

- the tab sheets at the bottom have disappeared, and are only accessible by
the entry "properties" in the context menu. Imho the long description,
dependencies and other package info are basic stuff that should not be hidden
away in a popup window.

- I can not find back the ability to install a particular version of a given
package, which - for me - is a good reason to use Synaptic instead of
command-line apt.

- In previous versions the Keep, Install and Remove (which are the basic
functions of Synaptic) were clearly visible, which isn't the case anymore.

- I find the way of choosing between sections/status/alphabetic, find history,
or filter confusing. Imho it would be better to:
  * remove the "filter" entry from that menu and restore the filter dropdown
at the top of the window like it was before.
  * Add a dropdown to the "find" text field showing the history.
  * the sort function is useful bout could be implemented even more
powerful :) what about this:
    + Remove the dropdown.
    + instead, split the current list in two. The top half can be used to put
any of (status, section, alphabetic) in order. Based on this the bottom part
can show a tree:

+-----------------+
|Status     [Up  ]|
|Section    [Down]|
|Alphabetic       |
+-----------------+
| - Installed     |
|     - base      |
|     + networking|
| + Upgradeable   |

... maybe a simpler solution is preferable but I wouldn't keep using the
dropdown for 2 functions, and instead using it only for sorting packages.

--
Frank Van Damme