[Synaptic-devel] mandrake version issues

From: Will Napier
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] mandrake version issues
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:20:24 +0100

Hi, I am new to this list. I am non-technical, and I'm using Mandrake 9.2 with Gnome. I was using an older version of synaptic, and wanted to update. I removed it from the system with rpm -e. I attempted to install a newer version and got this error message:
address@hidden willnapier]# rpm -ivh synaptic-0.50-2mdk.i586.rpm
warning: synaptic-0.50-2mdk.i586.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624
error: Failed dependencies:
        libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.0 is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
        libstdc++.so.6 is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
        libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4) is needed by synaptic-0.50-2mdk
I already had the rpm in my home directory. I thought that rather than chase these dependencies, I would try apt-get to sort them for me. After running apt-get update and downloading a large number of new files:
address@hidden willnapier]# apt-get install synaptic
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package synaptic
So I went back to the uninstalled rpm and re-installed. It seems to work as it did before, ie it is a fantastic utility, but it does sometimes crash. Also, when I want to install, although I'm non-techy, it seems to demand a suspiciously long list of required updates and dependencies. It has messed around with my gnome menus (eg, xkill used to be on the menu, now it either isn't or I haven't found it; Gaim is now not in 'networking - instant messaging' but in a new one called 'internet - instant messaging'). These are not important, but Synaptic does crash on pressing 'execute' fairly often (it seems to depend on the package chosen to install, ie, if it happens on that package, you can't install it at all from synaptic). Any comments on the above greatly appreciated. In particular I would like to know how I might successfully install the synaptic-0.50-2mdk rpm, or if advisable, an even newer non-mandrake rpm.
with thanks for any advice offered, Will.