Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Build-Error on SuSE 9.1 i386
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:13:08 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Am Fr, den 18.06.2004 um 11:57 Uhr +0300 schrieb Panu Matilainen:
>
> > Right .. bzip2 only exists as 64bit version on RHEL3 which is basically
> > the only x86_64 distro I have experience with so that wasn't an issue. In
> > fact apt *builds* just fine on RHEL3, it's the actual functionality which
> > is problematic because apt doesn't know how to deal with packages with
> > same version but different architecture installed simultaneously.
>
> This is possible on RedHat? On the SuSE system the 32bit packages have a
> "-32bit" suffix in the name and so the dependencies are quite clear.

Ah.. that's sanely done then, apt should have zero problems with that. Rpm
is supposed to handle overlapping i386 and x86_64 packages through file
and transaction "colors" (whee.. I see colors...) but it's rather .. erm,
rough around the edges and the implications makes your mind boggle. See
this thread if you dont have nightmares very easily (discusses both ia64
and x86_64 issues):
http://distro2.conectiva.com.br/pipermail/apt-rpm/2004-June/002390.html

        - Panu -