Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic .5

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic .5
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:31:18 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:48:14PM +0200, Richard Bos wrote:
> Op donderdag 17 juni 2004 18:39, schreef Patrick Cornelißen:
> > | Please help me to exactly understand what you are missing. What
> > | information that used to be in the tabs are you looking for and in
> > | what way did it help you?
> > I used it for example to browse through the dependencies of broken
> > packages. I just activated the dependencies tab (or the common tab) and
> > browsed through the packages. So I got a pretty quick impression what's
> > wrong.
> > Now I have to click on each package and select the property menu item,
> > ... - not very good for quick browsing.
> >
> > I think it's the best for the usability, if you reintegrate the
> > properties dialog in the description area with it's tabs.
> > (As it was in the last .4x versions)
>
> I second this proposal too.

Thanks. I also got a private mail that complains about this change. We
are considering right now what to do. It's likely that we add a config
option to define what behaviour to use.

> Another one that I know from another package installer and sometime that's
> very convenient, is small popup window that provides the name, summary the
> installed version and the latest available version.  In the example
> application it's a small yellow window that appears when the mouse is
> hoovering over a package and disappears when the mouse moves on.  It's handy
> because in my case the version information is hidden due to the small scree
> size.  With this pop it is still quickly available.

Yeah, I noticed this in another package manger too :) I actually
wanted to add it but gtk does not provide a mechanism to have tooltips
in a treeview. So it's unlikley that it's added :/

thanks,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ