Re: [Synaptic-devel] Suggestion : display package recommandations

From: Renate
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Suggestion : display package recommandations
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:46:34 +0200

Am Do, den 22.04.2004 um 12:24 Uhr +0200 schrieb Michael Vogt:

> Well, you can have a look at the gtk/window_changes.glade dialog as a
> starting point. We could make it look like this:
>
> +-----------------------------+
> | !  Mark required changes    |
> +-----------------------------+
> |        <changes>            |
> +-----------------------------+
> | Additional interessting pks |
> +-----------------------------+
> | Recommends: foo        [ ]  |
> | Suggests: bar          [ ]  |
> +-----------------------------+
> |              |Cancel|  |Ok| |
> +-----------------------------+

I don't think that this is a so good idea. If a recommended package
requires is marked for installation and also requires addition package,
what would happen? Popup another "mark required changes" dialog? This
could end in quite a mess of dialogs.

But I cannot provide another solution at the moment. The only that I
could think of was to add a general "suggestion are dependencies" in the
preferences.

At the moment there is also the possibility to install suggested or
recommended packages via the dependencies tab. Perhaps we should stick
with this.