Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic in the press

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Synaptic in the press
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:45:43 +0200

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:57:15AM +0200, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Mainly a review about Conectiva, but a whole page is dedicated to
> synaptic:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6734&page=3
>
> But what is the difference between a package and a software management
> tool?

I don't really know what exactly he is asking for (we might just ask
him :) but I guess he wants to hide some of the packages that synaptic
shows right now. Like the lib-packages. I guess the idea is to have
some "meta-packages" like what we have in debian with gnome-core,
gnome and display only those. So that you basicly don't have to
maintain packages but more high-level entities. A bit like debian
tasksel and (maybe, never used red-carpt) red-carpet channels.

To do this we need support from the distributions. We need additional
metadata that helps synaptic to understand about such entities. The
debtags project might be a way to provide the additional metadata.

just some random thoughs,
 Michael