Re: [Synaptic-devel] CDROM installations

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] CDROM installations
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:03:16 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Andrey Tarassov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have several comments about how synaptic handles installation of
> packages from a CD-ROM.
>
> First of all, when the packages are fetched from the CD, the download
> speed and remaining time are both displayed as zeros. For example, if
> you are installing some kde package which is some 20-30 megabytes, then
> it takes several seconds to fetch it, but not 0 :-) And the download
> speed is surely higher than 0 b/s :-)

>From synaptic svn-head changelog:

-----
rev 907:  niemeyer | 2004-04-14 21:40:27 +0300 (Wed, 14 Apr 2004) | 3
lines
Never show "at 0b/s" messages in fetch window. The cdrom method
looks uncomfortable with it.
-----

Looks like Gustavo read your mind :)

> Secondly, it would be great that in case a package is available on
> several repositories, the following fetch order would be used:
> - local file
> - CD
> - ftp/http
>
> Currently, as I understood the package source is selected randomly. So,
> if you try to install all packages from a CD, there is a chance that
> some will be fetched from the web instead.

The package source is supposed to be selected by the order of sources.list
entries but just changing/moving the entries around doesn't always reset
the order like it should (a longstanding bug in upstream apt), you either
need to nuke the cache or add/remove an entry to make it respect the
order. I don't know if CD's add some other complications since I don't use
them myself.

        - Panu -