[Synaptic-devel] Re: [Bug #3187] 0.35.1 build fails on redhat 7.3

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: [Bug #3187] 0.35.1 build fails on redhat 7.3
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:20:39 +0200

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 04:31:01PM -0600, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> > Oh well :)
> > Sure, I see the need to not be to support rh 8.0. I'll see what I can
> > do. The thing is, the GtkTreeView is not easy to deal with in
> > gtk2.0. 2.2 has some nice new features. Expect 0.36 to be released with
> > the gtk2.2 code still in (it's scheduled for the next days). After this,
> > we may make it 2.0 compatible.
>
> SO... has there been any change with regard to gtk2.0 compatiblity?

Sort of. Attached is a patch that might be enough. But it needs
testing. So please test it out thorough and if it works all right,
I'll commit it to trunk/

> Looking at the code in synaptic's svn trunk I saw that
> gtk_tree_selection_get_selected_rows is still being used.  gtk2.2 is NOT
> available in UnitedLinux 1.0 (at least not on SuSE's SLES8; which uses
> gtk-2.0.6); does conectiva provide gtk2.2?
>
> I understand the reasons for using gtk2.2 features; but when it comes
> right down to it Synaptic (rpm support anyway) can only be used on RH9,
> and _maybe_ conectiva's UnitedLinux.  Having such a limited set of
> supported distributions can't be good for Synaptic.

Well, we have a limited set of developers and they have a limited set
of resources (time, energy). That's one of the reasons why this wasn't
tackled yet. The other reasons is that the api for handling multiple
selections in gtk2.0 pretty difficult to use. Even the documentation
recommends using the gtk2.2 functions.

Supporting older platforms is not fun.

bye,
 Michael

> p.s.
> Should I have used the savannah bug system?

In theorie yes. But I rather prefer handling bugreports via email as I
don't have a permanent internet connection atm. So it's cheaper and
easier for me to do it via email.

--
"Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are."
        -- Martin Schulze