Re: [Swftools-common] basic question on ActionScript 2.0

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] basic question on ActionScript 2.0
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:54:28 +0100

On 10/28/2013 11:21 PM, Lists wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 21:54:30 +0100 Pablo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> The whole timeline may be copyrighted and, at least, I cannot release
>> the swfc script under the GPLv3 (it has been released under that
>> license from another project) without requiring any presentation
>> generated from that swfc script to be released under the GPLv3.
>
> Which project?  (Scratches head.. is this your RaccoonShow thing? )

Well, mine is iRaccoonShow. But yes, it is.

> Write a script ( from scratch)?

The short answer is I can’t. I don’t code.

>> There is another potential copyright issue. As stupid as it may sound,
>> the transition time list can be considered eligible for copyright
>> protection, since it may express the work of a creative judgment.
>
> Surely this is down to an individual's personal choice, as to how they
> license the output from a piece of software?  Be it artwork, music, or
> ( I'd venture rather tenously in this instance ) a transition time list.

First of all, the transition time list as eligible for copyright
protection sounds weird to me (it’s a list of pure numbers), but someone
suggested me that the creativity in that list is a plausible option for
copyright protection.

The issue, as far as understand it, was that if the script was under the
GPL and it contained the time list, this might cause the user to release
the presentation under the GPL. (At least the time list would be under
the GPL.)

>> But I think Flash is the way to go (at least for now).
>
> There's always the use of the Gnash Player, if your demands are not too
> complicated?
>
>    https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Gnash doesn’t play that because it has problems playing sounds
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=25456.

And I’m afraid that Gnash is not actively maintained.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk