Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - different size swf on different platform

From: Matt Sergeant
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - different size swf on different platforms
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:37:48 -0400

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM, List_Subs <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sure, but I think the dots is the problem, and so I'd like to know
> how to get the same results as the Mac produced, otherwise I'm going
> to have to switch to an ImageMagick/convert version for this app and
> use images.

Did you try some of the images manipulation swutches, available to
pdf2swf and pds2swf -s?

Yes I tried pretty much everything. I got one option which reduced the SWF from 500KB to around 350KB, but that's still way larger than the one the Mac produced. (it was the -G flag which did that reduction IIRC). It gets really small if I do -s bitmap, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

Also, from which ( or with which ) application are you rendering the
final pdf?   Maybe it's better to tweak the pdf with someting like
pdftk first, or render via the Python gfx module?

The PDF is downloaded from a Bank's web site, so I can't really modify it (aside from running it through pdftk as you say - I've yet to try that - but it doesn't really answer the question of why the two OSes running the same version of pdf2swf produce different results).