Re: [Swftools-common] Understanding SWFDump Output

From: List_Subs
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Understanding SWFDump Output
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 14:24:33 +0200

On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 16:46:45 -0700
Rahul Dhodapkar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to use SWFTools to parse through a swf file and identify
> the different components (shapes, text, etc) and how they move.  I am
> using the SWFDumb utility, which appears to output information about
> placement and generation of the various objects in the .swf file, but
> I do not understand the encoding of the output.  What does each
> column mean and is there any place that I can find documentation on
> this or anyone who would be willing to help me with this?
>
> Thanks so much,
> Rahul Dhodapkar

Rahul,

On the main page of the swftools wiki,

        http://wiki.swftools.org

in the Documentation section, you'll see a link to 'Adobe SWF File
Format Reference'.  Grab yourself a copy, and cross-reference what
you read there to what swfdump gves you.

swfdump with no switches, prints out a [HEADER] section, which is
mostly self-explanatory, then data in three columns:

[Left column] - the code, in Hexadecimal, for the Flash Tag type
                being used

Middle column - the total number of bytes, in decimal, of the data
                that particular Flash Tag occupies in the swf file,

Right column - basic information about the particular Flash Tag being
                referenced.

The information in the middle and right-most columns can be amplified
by the addition of the various swfdump switches

As you will see from the SWF file format document, many of the data
structures used are quite complex, so it's probably also worth
examining some sections of a *decompressed* swf file in a good ( but
simple ) code editor, one which allows, hex and binary output/editing,
and/or a falsh decompiler, say flasm,

   http://flasm.sourceforge.net/

That way you can see how things are laid out, and tweak as necessary
in the interest of experimentation.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Chris.