Re: [Swftools-common] on convert pdf which has Chinese characters

From: Chris
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] on convert pdf which has Chinese characters
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:19:17 +0200

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 21:46:52 +0800
oyster <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using the python bind to convert a pdf into pictures, and the
> code( which you can find at the end) is from
> http://www.swftools.org/gfx_tutorial.html
> for my pdf files which have Chinese characters in it, I get tons of
> messy characters on the picture. and the prompt shows the following
> msg
> I think that is about the Chinese Font, but how can I set the correct
> font in my python code? thanks in advance
>

> [quote msg]
> Error: Unknown font tag 'F0'
> Error: Unknown font tag 'F0'
> Error: Unknown character collection 'Adobe-GB1'
> Error: Couldn't find 'GBK-EUC-H' CMap file for 'Adobe-GB1' collection
> Error: Unknown CMap 'GBK-EUC-H' for character collection 'Adobe-GB1'
> Error: Unknown character collection 'Adobe-GB1'

The ADOBE CMAPs are missing.

The extra mappings for Xpdf can be found here,

    http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

You'll still need the fonts though.  Various download sites have them.
You also haven't said whether you're using Windows or Linux?  If the
latter, then some distributions supply Chinese/Japanese/Asian fonts as
as packages, for example,

    http://ns2.canonical.com/hardy/cmap-adobe-gb1

You can also get fonts from Adobe,

http://www.adobe.com/type/?promoid=DJDZB

One the fonts are installed, the gfx module should function correctly.
( says he confidently! :o) )

HTH.

Regards,

Chris.