Re: [Swftools-common] Bigger swf's coming out of pdf2swf 0.9.1

From: filip sound
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Bigger swf's coming out of pdf2swf 0.9.1
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:25:31 +0200

hi, thanks for info but ...
i already posted examples months (maybe a year) ago where the same pdf was converted and i even made a tool to count and animate the clips in the resulting swfs to examine the pdf2swf output. new version was worse (invisible shapes under objects and thus much more objects ... bad for web/cpu/speed/performance)

regards,
  filip

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM, Chris Pugh <address@hidden> wrote:
On 23 August 2010 13:34, filip sound <address@hidden> wrote:
> i got the same results .. and no reaction on my postings here. we are still
> using version 2009-04-01-0957 since all later versions of pdf2swf have
> redundant objects in the output swf and to me it seems the quality of
> conversion has not improved at all. i dont know where this development is
> heading to.
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Sameer Atre <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I've been a vivid user of pdf2swf since 2 - 3 years.
>> After upgrading to ver. 0.9.1 I find that source pdf's with image content
>> get converted into very large sized swf's.
>> Eg : In one instance the same pdf that used to result in swf's of size 500
>> KB has now become 3 MB !!
>> But for pdfs with text content the reverse is seen. i.e swfs have become
>> smaller. Am I missing something here please ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sameer

Not a great user of pdf2swf myself, however..

.. I could supply you both with an example where the exact opposite is the case.

Converting thiis particular  pdf ( a music score of a concert study by
Liszt, so there
is a fair deal of graphic content in it - one which I'd normally
render via Lily anyway )
gets dramatically reduced in size.

So, rather than just general griping, how's about,

-  checking via verbose, exactly what sort of image content may possibly be
  responsible for the size increase of the resulting, swf.

-  which ( if any ) isn't

-  posting an example or two.

This is after all, an open source project, which thrves on user
feedback and testing.

jooi, the above-mentioned Liszt pice contain pbm images.

Regards,

Chris.
a demonstratin example?