Re: [Swftools-common] swf extract (alpha channel on jpeg3 files)

From: JL
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] swf extract (alpha channel on jpeg3 files)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 09:29:16 -0400

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

Does this new Dev Snapshot only include this patch for swfextract, or does it include updates across the other apps as well (i.e. pdf2swf)?

Thanks
Jeff

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Matthias Kramm <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 08:29:45PM +0000, Ty <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to extract jpeg3 files from an swf, however, swfextract doesn't
> maintain the alpha channel when extracting them (as far as I can tell).

Ah. Thanks for reminding me. Support for that is overdue indeed.

> This guy
> supplied a patch to extract the alpha channel to it's own png, however it
> doesn't look like it was ever applied...

That patch only added an option for extracting the alpha-channel as
such. I think it was never applied because that's not that useful-
you want the entire image, and if you *really* only need the alpha
channel, you'd rather extract the full image and then extract the
alpha channel e.g. with ImageMagick.

That said, the newest swftools version now has support for jpeg3, so
give it a spin:
   swfextract -j <id> file.swf -o file.png
.
(Notice that it saves to a png file, even though the input tag is
 "jpeg", as .jpg doesn't have alpha support)

The latest version is available at:
   http://www.swftools.org/swftools-2010-05-16-1816.tar.gz
   http://www.swftools.org/swftools-2010-05-16-1816.exe
.