RE: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg

From: ken.sturgis
Subject: RE: [Swftools-common] question about the license for swf2jpeg
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:10:28 -0600

The quote you is taken slightly out of context. Specifically this is an answer to a question which I have included below.

>I would like to release a program I wrote under the GNU GPL,

>but I would like to use the same code in non-free programs.

>>To release a non-free program is always ethically tainted, but legally

>>there is no obstacle to your doing this. If you are the copyright holder

>>for the code, you can release it under various different non-exclusive

>> licenses at various times.

I think most people would agree that it is improper to sell something that they could get for free elsewhere is problematic.  Can one ethically sell sunshine?  This is a very narrow answer and assumes that free program and the non-free program are the same

However, I don’t think this in any way reflects on selling value-added versions of GPL release programs that you wrote.  For instance it would be perfectly ethical for the ‘creators’ of a GPL program to sell a value-added version of a program.  The most common value-adds would be a license for commercial use and enhanced support.  Which is not to say that in any way the creators of a GPL program should offer this service.

~Ken Sturgis