Re: [Swftools-common] Text Selection and other questions

From: ken.sturgis
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Text Selection and other questions
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:30:06 -0600

I just started looking at using swfTools to convert PDF documents to
flash AS3 files and I ran into this same problem. This problem is
actually causing me a bit of pain. I know what is causing this problem
which I will discuss below.  I have spent only about an hour looking at
the swfTools code and can't pin point exactly where the problem is in
the code, but maybe someone else on this mailing list will know exactly
where the problem is and know how to easily fix it.

The problem is the output SWF file is missing the FontBoundsTable in the
DefineFont2 tag.

The flash specification for flash 6 included this table that defines the
area of each of the glyphs in the font table.  However, this table was
not used in the flash 6 player.  So if you are output a flash 6 file
there is no reason to include the bounds table.  Flash 6 dynamically
generates this bound information.  However flash 9 (AVM2) works
differently without this bounding table information the fonts will still
display, but when you call getTextRunInfo() the returned object will be
missing the corner information (i.e.corner0x).

I can see in the code that the FontBoundsTable is being populated (
SWF_Font->layout->bounds ).  But maybe it isn't being saved to the
output file?  I haven't managed to track down where the save routines
are in the code yet.

If anyone has any comments it would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Sturgis

> Re: [Swftools-common] Text Selection and other questions
> Denis Zgonjanin
> Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:02:56 -0800
> Hi Filip,
>
> Thanks for the answers. I did try drawing shapes around the individual
> characters, but have another problem. getTextRun() returns to me the x
and y
> position of the character, but height is returned as a decimal between
0 and
> 1, which is odd because height is supposed to be in pixels. Also
parameters
> corner0x, corner0y, corner1x, corner1y, etc... are not there at all.
The