Re: [Swftools-common] possible bug in lib/action/compile.c

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] possible bug in lib/action/compile.c
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 13:14:49 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 10:05:59PM -0400, Jason Christopher Reed
<address@hidden> wrote:
> As an aside, I would love to migrate to using AS3/AVM2 with swftools if
> support for it is becoming mature, but it's still not clear to me how to
> use any content that is not generated from pure actionscript, e.g.
> embedded images.

Yes, that functionality is still missing.
You can use swfc, but that way you would have to specify everything
twice (once on the swfc level, and once inside the ".action:" block).
I want to introduce native embedding to as3compile, but I'm
yet unsure as to which syntax to use.

Flex's syntax:

    class MyScene {
        [Embed(source="image.png")]
        [Embed(source="arial.ttf"),fontName="arial"]
    }

This syntax has the advantage of being compatible with current
as3 software, but I don't really like it. Also, swfc has right now a
very rich selection of tags (.png, .jpeg, .sound, .font, .video, ...)
that could simply be "plugged in" in as3compile, e.g. like this:

    class MyScene {
        .png image "image.png"
        .font arial "arial.ttf"
    }

I guess what would be required though, if we were to divert from the
Flex syntax, is a tool which could transform Flex sourcecode into
as3compile sourcecode.

I'd be happy about comments on this.