Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf javascript events

From: Ricardo Pedroso
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf javascript events
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:46:23 +0100

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Onur Tugcu<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everyone
> I'm building a simple virtual class for remote education, and I want the
> teacher to control student slides using javascript.

If I were you I would go with a tool like those:
http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/
or
http://www.dimdim.com/

The dimdim folks have a centos vmware image with their conference
tool ready to use.

> Is it possible to easily create javascript events (eg. for page flipping)
> for the generated swf? Does the default_viewer.swf support these events? If
> so, what are the function names?

I suppose it's not possible only with javascript because javascript
only run on client side.
You need a "central server" to control what page to show, please
someone correct me if I'm wrong.

What you could do is something like this, and I think this will be possible:
1. For the teacher:
   - Create a viewer with some actionscript/javascript that will
request a server side script(php, python, perl, ...)
     every time the teacher change a page
   - This server side script will record the actual page on a DB or in
a flat file.

2. For students:
   - Create a viewer with some actionscript/javascript that will
request, every second or so, another server side script.
   - This script will return the actual page from the DB or flat file

Regards,
Ricardo