[Swftools-common] pdf2swf - Converting PDF to bitmap with higher resolut

From: Bruno Ferreira
Subject: [Swftools-common] pdf2swf - Converting PDF to bitmap with higher resolution - how?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 15:31:25 +0100

    Hi!

First of all, many many many thanks for swftools, and particularly pdf2swf. It's an awesome tool.

Now, to the issue: I've been using pdf2swf to convert PDF files to single-page SWF files for flipbooks. For the most part, it's been working just fine, but I've come across something. Recently I started using the "-s bitmap" option to convert the pages to a single bitmap image, which comes quite handy for flipbooks (one can then use the original page for the zoomed-in version). However, the bitmap that comes out is relatively low-res, and no matter how much I fiddle with the "-s dpi", "-s subpixels", and all its other friends, I can never get a higher-resolution picture at the same zoom level. I tried using "-s zoom 200" (200 being a test value), and I did get a zoomed-in version, but it's the same bitmap as before, simply enlarged. Is there any set of options that will net me a bitmap conversion at a specific resolution/size, or at least by a factor of X?

Oh, by the way: "pdfswf -s" (just like that) will segfault (OpenSuSE 11.1, swftools compiled from source). Not important, just noteworthy. I think it should present the options for "-s", akin to "-s help".

    Thanks, Bruno Ferreira