Re: [Swftools-common] Features Request

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Features Request
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:37:01 +0100

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 01:58:52PM -0600, Douglas Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> My request is to allow for error recovery when a pdf page exceeds the swf
> shape limit.

Fallbacks into other rendering modes in case of errors is something
on my TODO list.

> I believe that I read that the function that pdf2swf uses to
> duplicate gradients can create hundreds of shapes which can cause the swf
> shape limit to be overcome easily.

That's not entirely true anymore- gradients are converted 1:1 now.
But you can still generate a lot of shapes with only a bit of
PDF data by using pattern fills.

> Would it be possible to recover from the
> error by either continuing processing the next page in the pdf or by
> attempting to render the page as a bitmap?

You can use a shell-level switch- some users found this to be helpful:

pdf2swf file.pdf -o file.swf || \
    pdf2swf -s poly2bitmap file.pdf -o file.swf || \
    pdf2swf -s bitmap file.pdf -o file.swf

Greetings