Re: [Swftools-common] wrong audio extraction

From: Pablo Rodríguez
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] wrong audio extraction
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:55:21 +0200

Matthias Kramm wrote:
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:31:57AM +0200, Pablo Rodríguez <address@hidden>
wrote:
ERROR   Soundstream is not mp3 (2)
Many thanks for the reply, Matthias.

Shouldn't this error warning be an bug? (Either the soundstream is mp3 and should be extracted or the soundstream is not the main one, and then another error should appear.)

swfdump describes it as an mp3 stream:

That's not the sound stream. That's just a single sound.
A "sound stream" is usually a longer sound which accompanies the
complete animation. A single sound, on the other hand, is
something short which can be triggered by ActionScript.
Single sounds have IDs- soundstreams don't (there's only one per
Movieclip).

Thanks for you explanation. I understand it now.

I know that this distinction, which comes from the Flash file format,
is not exactly intuitive to the end user, but right now, that's how
swfextract expects to be told what to extract.

Then, if I got it right, the error message should read something like "The SWF file contains no soundstream" instead of "Soundstream is not mp3". And it should occur also when trying to extract the main mp3 stream from files where nothing is extracted, but no error appears (such as with http://ousia.justfree.com/orphanworks-original.swf).

If you allow me to suggest a couple of improvements for swfextract, I think that the output file names should be named according their original names. And it would be useful to prompt the user before saving a file when overwriting another one using the same name.

Added to my TODO list.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo