[Swftools-common] Reading the header of a SWF file created by PDF2SWF

From: Tony Stallan
Subject: [Swftools-common] Reading the header of a SWF file created by PDF2SWF
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:32:31 -0000

Hi folks,

I want one of my scripts to get the width and height of a swf file created with pdf2swf.

Ok, no problem, I thought. I found a few examples of the SWF Format definition with examples.

When I try to apply what I have learnt to pdf2swf swf's the numbers I get are all wrong. When I apply the calculations to a swf created elsewhere the numbers come out correctly

Performing a SWF dump on a PDF2SWF swf the Header section of the output shows the width/height correctly. So I'm really confused, my calculations seem to work okay except with PDF2SWF swfs.

The first 21 characters of the SWF file looks like this

43 57 53 08 47 EC 00 00 78 DA 7C BB 67 54 93 41 D7 36 3A 09 09

I know the characters 43 57 53 08 47 EC 00 00 define CWS, Version and File size with the rest the rectangle.

Using the definition I get dimensions 1129w X 117.65h but every other program gives me the dimensions 620w X 876h which is correct.

Does anyone have any ideas, directions that can help me.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Tony