Re: [Swftools-common] Pdf2swf features and hyperlink bug

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] Pdf2swf features and hyperlink bug
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:09:19 +0100

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 09:34:32AM -0500, Ray Laurencelle wrote:
> I'd like to use pdf2swf to generate page content for a Flash training
> front-end.
>
> The ideal path would be MS Word > PDF converter > pdf2swf (via qpdf2swf) >
> swf.
>
> The ideal result would be swf that preserves embedded media objects,
> hyperlinks, searchable text fields, vector graphics, and Flash 8
> antialiasing for readability. The ability to import the swf into Flash and
> be able to edit the objects would be a plus.

Flash tends to be picky about which SWF files it will load and which
it won't. Older versions of pdf2swf supported the "-s ignoredraworder" and
"-s shapes" options, which would mostly make the SWFs work for Flash import.

> I realize it's unlikely that pdf2swf or any other converter would support
> all these features. I have evaluated about 9 swf converters and they vary
> widely in output. I like the simplicity of pdf2swf.
>
> However. I haven't been able to preserve hyperlinks using v.7 or .8.

With v.7, they should work. 0.8.0 is buggy and doesn't convert
hyperlinks- that will be fixed with 0.8.1.

> Also, I presumed that Flash 8 support in the latest rev would include
> antiliasing
> for readability but I see text is rendered with the default antialiasing for
> animation which produced fuzzy text in small sizes.

I'm working on that. The biggest problem is extracting the antialising
information from the font. (TTF and Type1)

Greetings