Re: [Swftools-common] png2swf compression

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] png2swf compression
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 19:12:58 +0200

On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:02:05AM +0200, David JACQUET wrote:
> I use png2swf but it seems that it don't compress png in the swf.
> "png2swf -o test.swf -z test.png" The result is as big as the png.
> Is it normal or is there something I did wrong ?

png is already a compressed format. There's no way to compress it
further within swf, unless you switch to lossy compression.

> The png2swf tools from develotec.com compress the swf (4mb png => 300 Kb swf)
> Is there a way to do the same with your png2swf ?

My guess would be that develotec.com's png2swf converts the image to
jpeg before storing it. It'd have to have a look at one of their
converted files to be sure.
If that's what they're doing, you can get the same result by converting
your image to jpeg, too, and then using jpeg2swf.

Greetings