Re: [Swftools-common] what external files are required...?

From: Brett W. McCoy
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] what external files are required...?
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:01:17 -0500

michael geary wrote:

thanks for this. I'm starting to understand what "ldd" does (actually on OS X it's "otool -L"). Anyway, on my machine it returns:

 >otool -L /usr/local/bin/swfcombine
/usr/local/bin/swfcombine:
/usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0) /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 71.1.1) /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)

so would I need to recursively "ldd" all of these files to find any shared libraries _they_ would need? Would these files be otherwise portable? Or would they be somehow locked to the configuration of the current machine?

Quite possibly... you can get into a real dependency mess doing this (most package managers try to handle this somewhat invisibly).

Again, is there no ./configure option I can pass to make a standalone executable?

I don't see one. Some tools will let you build a statically linked version, where static libraries are linked entirely into the executable, but this one doesn't seem to.

It might be easier for you to just build the software on the other machine :-)