[Swftools-common] swfc text

From: Leo Schalkwyk
Subject: [Swftools-common] swfc text
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:14:57 +0000

I have spent a morning playing with swftools and I'm very impressed.

I have been using a simple perl script to convert a seminar
outline into simple html slides, and I have already crudely
hacked that to make a single frame swf for each slide using
swfc.  Then it's a simple matter to swfcombine these along with
any other pictures and default_viewer.swf to make a usable
slide presentation.

This might not be the smartest way to do this, and maybe the
response to my questions is 'use TeX', but still I have some
questions about .text

Things that I can't figure out / may be missing include
-is there an escape mechanism to allow things like double quotes in strings?
        (currently a swfc syntax error)
-how can you calculate the x coordinate of the end of a string?
        (eg I want to use a different typeface for code examples,
        so I need a separate .text -- how do I know where to start it?)
        or are there plans to interpret some kind of markup?
-.edittext has a number of useful looking parameters:
        multiline, html, wordwrap.  I think these don't work yet.  Would
        I be smarter to use .edittext ?

Leo
--
t:   +44 (0) 20 7848 0279    SGDP  Box P082
f:   +44 (0) 20 7848 0866    Institute of Psychiatry