Re: [Swftools-common] back from /dev/null

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] back from /dev/null
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:37:09 +0200

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 08:27:53PM -0700, De Clarke wrote:
> Hi Matthias and community.  I am almost embarrassed to unlurk and speak
> up here, as I was helping a bit with swfc a while back and then dropped
> out of sight for a long time due to personal and business matters
> overwhelming me.  Apologies to Matthias!  I am very glad to see (by
> lurking all these months) that development continues.

No problem, I know what it's like to run out of spare time.
It's great to have you back!

> I even have, at last, some time to play with swf stuff again and am
> thinking about a new problem, which is importing quicktime movies into
> swf.  Can I bring a QT movie in as an object with free rotation?

Hm, yes- actually SWF has native support for Quicktime.
I now added a .quicktime command to swfc:

.quicktime mymovie http://some.url/to/some/quicktime.qt

This should give you a "mymovie" quicktime object which you can scale,
rotate, colortransform etc.
I haven't yet tested it myself though, as I don't seem to have any
quicktime files around.

Btw., newer versions of the flash specification don't appear to
mention the quicktime tag anymore. Maybe because it has been
superseded by the h.263 codec (which may be the other option- convert
 the quicktime to avi using something like mencoder, then convert
 it to .swf with avi2swf, and then use .swf to include that file.
 .quicktime is probably the quicker way, though. ;))

> I'm about to track down the latest greatest source... and Matthias I
> have a new platform now, not only old Red Hat Linux but also the latest
> Red Hat RHE3 and a Mac OS/X Darwin with X11.  So new compiling adventures
> lie ahead.

A Mac OS/X Darwin? Sweet. I'll probably get you to run a few tests of
the Python module on that machine soon. :)

Greetings