Re: [Swftools-common] avi2swf ... avirecompress ... codecs?

From: Matthias Kramm
Subject: Re: [Swftools-common] avi2swf ... avirecompress ... codecs?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 17:53:01 +0200

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:11:51AM -0600, zipur wrote:
> Here is a simple blend you can animate to raw avi.
> Open it using blender ... then press F10 while on one of the panels,
> adjuest the path to the render directory, then click "ANIM" to animate
> to avi in your render directory.

Thanks for the instructions- I never used Blender before, so this was
very helpful indeed.

Ok, I can reproduce the problem, i.e., avi2swf is indeed unable to
render the blender files "out of the box".
However, the following works for me:

Install mplayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/), then do

    mencoder -ovc lavc blender_file.avi -o new_file.avi
    avi2swf new_file.avi

Btw. the first step (mencoder) did shrink the filesize by factor 100 for
me. Seems blender doesn't exactly use a "state of the art" encoder-
even the SWF is smaller.

Oh, and you may want to get a fresh CVS checkout- I removed a bug in
avi2swf which prevented smooth looping for repetitive videos like this
one.

Greetings