Re: [Swarm-Support] What is the best way to model "lists" of integersin

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] What is the best way to model "lists" of integersin Obj-C?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:48:11 -0600

Luke Premo wrote:
Hello,
I would like to use "lists" of (negative and positive) integers in my Obj-C model (Mac OSX, Swarm 2.2) to represent simple genomes. So far, I've used the List object to do this, but i get some strange results (i.e., getCount returns 10 but when I print out the contents of the "haplotype" I don't always get 10 integers...sometimes i get none) not to mention the following compiler warning: Hominin.m:38: warning: passing argument 1 of 'addLast:' makes pointer from integer without a cast. I get the feeling List is only reliable for objects and not integers, is this true? And if so, what would be a better choice for me given that i want to be able to add/remove integers with offsets and use the addLast/First and removeLast/First commands when modeling recombination between two "lists" of integers? Should I switch to Arrays, Collections, or Strings to do this?
All containers accept objects, not integers. Create an Integer class, and then set values into those objects, and add them to lists.

I'm attaching a class I've used in the past for integers.

If my hunch is wrong, and Lists can deal with integers just fine, then how come I can't get all 10 of the integers to print out for me using a while loop on an index of the haplotype List and the printf function? I'm stumped.

I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I've been unsuccessful in finding a definitive answer after searching for the last couple of hours. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thank you very much for you time,

Luke Premo

Dept. of Political Science            http://pj.freefaculty.org
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086

#import <objectbase/SwarmObject.h>

//A small wrapper class to hold integers so we can insert them into
//swarm lists

#define SWARMINTEGER(value) \
  [[[SwarmInteger createBegin: [self getZone]] setVal: value] createEnd]

@interface SwarmInteger: SwarmObject
{
  int value;
}