[Swarm-Support] Xgrid difficulties

From: Ed Baskerville
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Xgrid difficulties
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 03:12:00 -0500

Hi all,

I'm trying to get Swarm up and running with Apple's Xgrid (http://www.apple.com/acg/xgrid/), with the goal of making a plug-in to automate batch jobs--basically a graphical version of UMich's Drone that distributes runs over the network. Probably done before, but probably not yet with Xgrid.

I'm stuck in the early stages, however: I keep getting bus errors from the models when they're running under Xgrid in cluster mode. In local demo mode, they work fine.

I'm guessing this is because Xgrid runs jobs as the unprivileged user "nobody" in cluster mode, but as a normal user in local demo mode. So the question is, what do Swarm models do that nobody isn't allowed to do? Any ideas?

Other possibly relevant info:

(1) I'm using the latest Mac OS X packages from Bill Northcott

(2) I've wrapped the executable in a shell script like so as to set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH e.v. and mount the output directory:

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/tcl8.4.5/lib:/usr/local/blt2.4z/lib:/usr/ local/hdf5_1.6.1/lib:$SWARMHOME/lib
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
mkdir output
mount_afp afp://[username]:address@hidden/[sharename] output
[execpath] --batch