[Swarm-Support] Re: SWARM OS X

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: [Swarm-Support] Re: SWARM OS X
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:16:04 +1000

I assume you have the developer tools with the recent updates and the
gcc-3.3 compiler from the Swarm site.

You need to ensure that your environment variables are appropriately set
up.  If you use the default tcsh then create a file ~/.tcshrc with
contents like this:
source /usr/share/tcsh/examples/rc
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/blt2.4z/lib:/usr/local/hdf5_1.4.5p2/lib:/usr/local/png_1.2.5/lib:/usr/local/swarm2.2p/lib:/usr/local/tcl8.4.3/lib:/usr/local/tk8.4.3/lib
setenv SWARMHOME /usr/local/swarm2.2p
setenv DISPLAY :0.0

Note that each setenv is a single line.  If you use bash (the default in
Panther) you will need to make a file .bashrc and it will need lines like:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
etc..

Once this is set up just open a new window in the Terminal app and try
printenv (or set if you use bash) and check the environment variables are
correct.

Then you need some application source code.
cd to somewhere you want the code, then try:
cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm login

no password necessary.  Followed by:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/swarm co apps

Then:
cd apps/objc/heatbugs
make
./heatbugs

It should run. Any problems, put a message on support @swarm.org because
there will be others in the same boat.
 You can also compile and run the other Objective-C and Java examples.
Have a look at the makefile in heatbugs which should show you how to build
other examples or source code.

I am currently trying to finish off a Project Builder template which
should make building and running Swarm source even easier.

Hope this helps
Bill Northcott