Re: [Swarm-Support] 3-D Representation

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Support] 3-D Representation
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:17:45 -0500

Great. How about you look at the ballet dancing project Tina Yu and I did this last spring.

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/MySwarmCode/Dancer/

There is a Swarm model with dancers and they follow certain aesthetic rules that Tina created. I was using the 2d graph library to show the dancers as ovals on a square. I outputted the information about their positions and such to a data file, and Tina made a quick time movie of the dance with a program called lifeform. That showed stick people frolicking about.

I think it would be cool if you could write a 3d thing to directly attach to swarm to make the same representation. Maybe you could use the dancer model since it is already a working prototype.

A slightly abbreviated version of that paper was published in an art journal called YLEM about a month ago.

That dancer model has one feature that i think is really interesting from a Swarm scheduling point of view. Each dancer chooses "steps" from a repertoire. Some steps take one unit of time, others take more. So this code features a sort of dynamic scheduling in which each dancer chooses a step, and then only when that step is finished, will the dancer choose another step. All of the dancers are operating on individualized time sequences, i suppose I mean to say.