Re: FW: Swarm2.1.1 source code compiling error (explow.c) on Linux Re d

From: Paul E Johnson
Subject: Re: FW: Swarm2.1.1 source code compiling error (explow.c) on Linux Re d Hat 7.2
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 15:12:32 -0600

Dear Tina:

If I debug your program, are you going to have ChevronTexaco make a contribution to the Swarm Development Group? If you are asking me to do your assignment, don't you suppose there should be some quid pro quo?

The dynamicGraph app you sent me does not have an author or a date, and I can see it is basically a combination of the DynamicGraph program that runs against the GraphLib for Swarm that is available elsewhere. If it is really important to run that particular program, we can figure it out, I'm sure, or I can tell you how to do it correctly with the Graph Library. I've looked at it a while and I think I see what is wrong, but before I go to the trouble of fixing it, I have to know if it is really really important to run that particular program, because it does not run AS IS on my system. I don't believe this program ever did run, actually, so the problem for me is not well formulated.

IN the Swarm FTP there is a a working copy of the original DynamicGraph program here:

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps/objc/contrib/DynamicGraph-2.1.tar.gz

I've just tested it and it does run against Swarm-2.1.140 with the GraphLib installed in my system.

The problem with the dynamicGraph you sent me is that the GraphLib has been hacked and stuck into the middle of the program, and its code is not all completely correct. For example, if you are using the graph library from your current directory, the include statements should refer to "graph.h" and not <graph/graph.h>. See?

I've just verified that I can rebuild/install the Graph Lib I distributed a while ago on a current system:

http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/graphLib-20010423-1.i386.rpm
http://lark.cc.ku.edu/~pauljohn/Swarm/miscSupportSoftware/graphLib-20010423-1.src.rpm

I suggest to test your Swarm install with the "approved" Swarm apps in this package:

ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/apps/objc/sdg/swarmapps-2.1.1.tar.gz

These are more or less guaranteed to go, mostly, on a 2.2 Swarm. At least, the problems are confined to a few syntax changes.

Now, if we really need to fix your program, I've hacked on it for 45 minutes to get a clean compile without warnings and then I get a runtime crash:

$ ./dynamicGraph
after create swarm.
after create buildObjects.
after create DiGraph.
before create PMMLCGgen.
*** event raised for error: InvalidArgument
*** function: _i_Object_s__doesNotRecognize_(), file: /home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.140.20020514/src/defobj/DefObject.m, line: 827
DiGraph does not recognize allocIVars:
*** execution terminating due to error
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.140.20020514/src/defobj/Symbol.m:187 -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]
Aborted

That happens because you try to use "self" as a zone for objects that are not Swarms. Code like this is wrong:

uRandPosition = [UniformInteger createBegin: self];

After fixing those, I get this error

*** event raised for error: InvalidCombination
PMMLCG initState: superclass method invoked - Yell at Sven!
*** execution terminating due to error
/home/pauljohn/LinuxDownloads/redhat/BUILD/swarm-2.1.140.20020514/src/defobj/Symbol.m:187 -[Error(c) _raiseEvent:]

I don't find it necessary to Yell at Sven, just change the syntax of the line that creates the generator to:

randGPosition = [PMMLCGgen create: [self getZone] setStateFromSeed: seed];

Then I get this:

$ ./dynamicGraph
after create swarm.
after create buildObjects.
after create DiGraph.
before create PMMLCGgen.
before create randGPosition.
after create randGPosition.
error: PMMLCGgen (class)
PMMLCGgen does not recognize getUnsignedMax
Aborted

This one has me puzzled at the moment. getUnsignedMax is in the documentation and the source code of Swarm. I would think this error indicates something wrong with Swarm itself, except for the fact that I know the original DynamicGraph and GraphLib programs do run.

So, as you can see, this program requires a lot if fixing, and I'm tired of doing it.

If you are just using it to test your Swarm installation, there are lots better ways.

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504