What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: What's all this about Swarm modifying the runtime?
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:59:10 -0500

I don't even really know what "runtime" means, so take this with a grain of salt.

Does Swarm really use a different runtime?

Swarm can be built with the stock gcc. There is an optional patch we make to gcc to allow method functions, but it is not necessary. I suspect that since gcc 3.2 has many optimizations incorporated from the Apple research team (they claim messaging is now orders of magnitudes faster) perhaps we don't even benefit from that one little gcc patch.

If you get a gcc snapshot on or after 2002-09-09 (not 3.2, but rather updates that come after it), you can build Swarm if you apply 3 small patches to Swarm itself. (I can give you those patches.)

Doesn't that mean we are using the GNU runtime?