Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Linux to MacOSX port effort.
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:39:06 -0700

On Sunday, April 28, 2002, at 04:56 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

"SC" == schristley  <address@hidden> writes:

SC> I believe you are referring to the mframe source code; I recognize
SC> it from gnustep-base, it was the basis for distribute objects.
SC> OSX has a working DO system, so it is just a matter of hooking the
SC> method calls to NSInvocation.

Even if OSX has the means to do what mframe does, there are still
usages of the GNU Objective C runtime in defobj that do the `phase switching'
of objects.  [`Phase switching' is the code in Swarm that creates
method dispatch tables according to the phase or mode that the object is in,
e.g. objects being created have different valid methods from an object
that is fully initialized]

Ah interesting! I have a much better view of what Swarm is doing. Now are these phases dynamic? Can I add my own then apply them to an agent? So in theory, my agent can progress through various "stages", responding to different methods for each stage, and the underlying implementation would enforce it.

Does Swarm implement this phase switching by adding/removing methods from the class; or do you switch-out the whole dispatch hash table? I'm guessing swapping out the whole table would be most efficient execution-wise. Hmm, a proxy implementation might also work.

thanks
Scott