Re: Usage of SafeAlways for Index objects

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Usage of SafeAlways for Index objects
Date: 11 Apr 2001 23:26:04 -0700

JA> I don't entirely understand what needs to be done in order to have
JA> an index remain valid when members are inserted and/or deleted.
JA> What methods (and for what object) would one use to set these
JA> options?

As things stand, -addBefore:, -addAfter:, -get, -put:, -next, -prev,
-remove: and -getLoc should work in a reasonable way.  E.g a -next after
a -remove: will take you to the item following the removed object and
a -prev with take you to the previous item.  -get will return nil and -getLoc
will say Removed.  -put: won't let you undo a remove:.

And if you are using Java, I'd suggest just sticking with the
java.util collections...

JA> In my copy of the online documentation for Swarm 2.1.1, I see
JA> that, in the discussion of Lists, it says that the default setting
JA> of something called "IndexSafety" is "UnsafeAtMember".  It also
JA> says that to insure an index remains valid when members are
JA> inserted and/or deleted from a List that one should set
JA> IndexSafety to "SafeAlways."  (Or at least that's what how I
JA> understand it.)

None of that is implemented.  I'll remove those passages from the
documentation..  Thanks for pointing that out.